Wednesday, February 4, 2015

New Race Goals

How do you deal with the disappointment of having to alter your racing plans and goals?

I've never had to deal with this. I haven't run since high school, competitively, and spent those years just running however I wanted. I've been training for the Phoenix half marathon to run it in a sub 2hr. I'm quite capable of doing that, I believe, if I was healthy and uninjured.

I haven't run much since Dec. Severe leg pain had me grounded for a month, now recently I've also had bronchitis or some sort of upper respiratory illness, and currently it seems, I have a sinus infection. I also have IT band pain in both legs. Obviously I'm not starting the year out real great.

Regardless though, I am doing my best to remain positive. Racing/running is only partly about the speed. For me it's also about being healthy, both body and mind, and doing something good for myself. So regardless of my previous goals for the Phoenix half marathon, I will toe the start line and just do the very best that I can. I will celebrate that I did something I used to be afraid of trying and I will congratulate all of my friends who cross that finish line as well. I will run for the enjoyment of running and I will run for my sweet buddy Jaylee who has to do hard things everyday. I will have plenty of time to achieve that sub 2hr goal.

No comments:

Post a Comment