Wednesday, December 9, 2015

Hot Chocolate 15k Recap!!

I was slated to run a different race on Dec 6th, but I just couldn't commit in my heart to train for it. I debated for a really long time, and finally made the decision to drop out of it. What's the point of training for and talking about a race that you just can't get excited about? Running should always be "fun". I say it that way cause most of us know, sometimes it's hard, but if it's not fun, we wouldn't keep doing it. At the time, dropping out felt really big. I hate going back on my word, but I just couldn't do it.

A couple weeks afterwards I decided to take a leap and register for the Hot Chocolate 15k! I've had it on my bucket list for a few years, but have been talking about it for at least the past two. I generally don't run on Sundays, but from time to time... and it's one I REALLY wanted to do! And then, running got fun again! I couldn't wait to run it.

Volunteers rock!

The Saturday before, my awesome friend Brecka, picked me up and we headed down to put in some volunteer work at the expo. I had volunteered last year and enjoyed myself, but knew it would be more fun with a friend. Thankfully she entertains some of my hair brained ideas and joined me! Man I love her! We spent 5 hours in the "try on" station. Did you know Hot Chocolate allows you to try on a jacket to be sure you've received the right size, and will swap it out if it doesn't fit, so long as there's one to trade with?! The only key is YOU CAN'T OPEN YOURS FIRST! Once your jacket bag has been opened, they can't be exchanged! What a deal though! Despite not feeling very well, I had a great time hanging out with Brecka there and meeting everyone who came by! I even got to meet one of my favorite ladies from Instagram!!! Hi Carol!!
We are the coolest! Haha
Brecka and I decided we wanted to dress up for this race. Neither of us had done that before, so we were pretty excited about it! We settled on dressing as snowflakes and spent the week leading up to the race preparing our costumes. Because. Priorities. I sewed up a couple of fun skirts and she got a couple of snowflake head bands, we tossed in some blue shirts and blue Procompression socks, and called it good. I think we did a pretty great job!

Flat Runner!
We left pretty early race morning to get there. I had been told on numerous occasions that the traffic is a bear to get through, and neither of us wanted to put up with that. We definitely got there early, but I actually liked the amount of time we had. We were able to walk to the complex for the bathrooms, go back and stay warm in the car until closer to race time, I was able to add an extra strip of KT Tape, all without being rushed. It was great!

As it got closer we headed to the start line for another bathroom stop (there were no shortage of Porta Johns!! I mean really, there were sooo many!!) and to get pictures with our MRTT group! As we walked up, the first person we saw was Carol!! Boy she's a fun lady! Just as sweet in person as she is on Instagram. We snapped some pictures and chatted for a bit before heading off to find MRTT.  I didn't do any gear checks, so I don't know how that worked out for anyone, but it seemed simple enough. You can use the bag your swag came in and check it with your bib number. They put it in a box and have people there to take them from you and give them back as you get ready to leave.

It was so cold! Pic cred: Carol
Shirley, Brecka, Pic cred: Olivia
But for real. We have way to much fun together! Pic cred: Carol
Start line
After getting pictures we finally made our way over to our corral. It was nice to discover we were in a corral without walkers. Mad props to anyone who comes to race. Truly. But it was nice to not have to dodge around anyone. Everyone in our corral pretty much started out at our pace and it made getting out of there so nice! We lined up behind the 9:30 pacer and stayed right with him through the whole race. It started out so cold!! Neither of us could feel our toes! But don't worry, it definitely heated up pretty quickly!

It's still too cold!! And my face??
The announcer sent us on our way, and that's where the trouble started for me! Immediately my left calf/shin seized up and it would not let go! It hurt so badly. For three miles I fought this pain which also turned into numbness. How you have both at the same time, I'm not sure, but it did.

I was so focused on making sure I lifted my foot and set it down right, hoping I didn't roll my ankle or trip on the street, I couldn't really enjoy the first part of the race. I just kept thinking to myself, it's just a training run, it's okay, you can slow down or walk; don't let the 9:30 pacer out of your sight though; don't walk because you might not be able to start again; pick up your foot, set it down; don't trip, don't take out anyone around you; let Brecka know you're hurting, wait, what did she say back to you; pick up your foot, put it back down; point your toe and stretch it; DO NOT ROLL YOUR ANKLE; DO NOT FALL!!

For three long miles this is how it was going! I wanted to cry! I wanted to quit. I was so incredibly frustrated!! How does this happen! I hadn't run in a week due to some other unrelated pain and a cold, but I've never had an effect like this before.

As I was coming into mile 3 I finally told myself, if the pain continued into mile 4, I was going to have to stop. I was going to have to walk. I was going to have to try and stretch it out. It was getting dangerous for me and the racers around me. I was going to do damage to my body, or if I went down, I could hurt another runner! I was going to have to make peace with a possible DNF. I was going to have to send Brecka along her way, who stayed right by my side the entire time. I know she was telling me to keep going, but I don't remember really what she was saying to me, I couldn't focus. I love her guts!! We rounded a corner just before mile 3 and all of a sudden the pain and the numbness was gone. Just like that. Like a snap of my fingers. Gone! I took a huge deep breath and almost cried of joy. I told Brecka the pain was gone, and we surged ahead! We hadn't let the pacer get far ahead of us at all, so we just cruised along right behind him for a bit before we moved passed him.

Mile 3- mile 6 was tons of fun! It was like a Saturday long run! We were laughing and joking and running and waving to our friends as we all passed one another along the course (thanks to some out and backs), thanked all the volunteers, thanked the police and medics, high fived people, thumbs upped people who complimented our awesome costumes... it was a blast!

Thank you Melissa for the capture!
Mile 7 was a different story! The "out" before the "back" had started to get long, and I had exhausted an enormous amount of mental and physical energy during those first three miles, that my tank was nearly empty. I was fading and I knew it. And Brecka knew it. I kept chanting to myself (out loud) that we were almost there, just keep going, you've got this, it's okay, come on come on come on... Brecka was cheering me on by my side. This time I heard her.

Then I focused for a bit on this cutie little girl ahead of us, creaming us, on this course! She was so little, but she was ROCKING it! What an amazing girl, and amazing dad to stay right by her side! (I wished I had asked to take their picture.) Then mile 8 hit and my inhaler had worn off, and we were running into a headwind and breathing was getting really hard. But I had already gone this far and I was NOT giving up without a fight. I knew I had it in me. And Brecka assured me I had it in me. And then we came to the photogs, and you HAVE to smile for them! And it was hard and breathing was hard, but then the finish line came into view and I knew I could finish it strong! We crossed that line together with arms in the air and huge smiles on our faces!!
So so close to the finish!

We made it! Together!
The sun was so bright! And we are wiped!
It was a hard fought for finish and it was an amazing feeling to know I hadn't given up when it got hard. I pushed my body and my mind, but truthfully, if Brecka hadn't been there, I'm not so sure I would've actually finished! She really helped get me through those dark miles. But now I know, I CAN! I can do it! I did it! I spent a lot of time running solo, but since running with a friend, I've been able to push myself more. That woman helped push me forward that day. She assured me what I already knew! I love her more and more each day and I'm so grateful for our friendship. We keep it pretty dang real and I really appreciate the raw authenticity we show one another.

As we came through the finisher chute we hugged tight, misty eyed, out of breath and then we went to party hearty with some amazing chocolate! The finishers mug is kind of awesome, a little rich for me (I struggle to eat much after I run like that), but well worth risking getting sick over it, haha!
Picture snagged from Olivia!
We sat and chatted with other friends as they came by to get their mug, snapped some selfies, I stripped off my skirt to show a friend how it had been made, lol, it was the perfect ending!

Our selfie game is strong, lol!
What a fun morning!! The race may have had some really dark moments, but it was well worth it. I enjoyed every moment, even the hard ones. I LOVE running races with Brecka and I'm pretty certain, we have to do more of that! I also think I've decided that the Hot Chocolate 15k will need to be permanently placed on my "race schedule"! And besides, rocking my hard earned, hard fought for, jacket... that is an amazing feeling!!!
Not too shabby considering what I went through!
I love this jacket!! Hard earned!

5 comments:

  1. Oh don't mind me....just a little misty eyed sitting at my desk. I'm SO proud of you, you showed some incredible strength out on that course. On to thinking about our outfits for next year!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your skirts -- you're crafty and creative (I ain't)! Great job! I'm sorry about your troubles, but hey, you totally finished and didn't even look tired.

    Too bad we missed each other. Are you running PF Chang's? Or Phoenix in Feb?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! They were fun to put together 😀. It was so much fun in spite of the struggle.

      I'm running Phx, the half! Hopefully I'll see you there!!

      Delete
  3. I love your skirts -- you're crafty and creative (I ain't)! Great job! I'm sorry about your troubles, but hey, you totally finished and didn't even look tired.

    Too bad we missed each other. Are you running PF Chang's? Or Phoenix in Feb?

    ReplyDelete