Wednesday, September 10, 2014

So About All The Fitness: Part I

So, I've had this blog just kinda sittin' around and I've not really done much with it. I've finally started reading some other people's blog about fitness and what not, and I'm starting to think maybe I'll just turn this more into something like that.

So, how did I get started on this path?

October 2013 a great friend talked me into running a 5k with her. I thought, well, alright, why not. I started running a little bit on the track and around the neighborhood so that I'd be able to run with her.

The day of the race I thought, I'm crazy, I haven't run like this since long before having my children. Three kids later, I've kinda ran off and on a little bit, but nothing major. Well, I got done and relived what a runner's high felt like and I was rehooked onto wanting to run again.

I started running around my neighborhood, very slowly. My mile split times were like almost 14:00 give or take, and I could only run 1 mile at a time before I had to start walking. Then it was a run/walk/run/walk kinda effort. I also went to the gym from time to time and lifted a few weights. I wanted to do the neighborhood turkey trot and I really wanted to do the 10k, so I started running farther and pushing myself to run more than a mile at a time. In just a few weeks I was able to run 4 miles consecutively, not more than 12:00 min miles, but certainly not a 10k. I realized I wasn't going to be able to run that day anyway. I did sign up for a 5k turkey trot and completed that, which I enjoyed so much. I was really starting to enjoy myself and the way running felt.

Then shin splints hit hard. I decided I was going to rest and let them heal. So for most of December I spent time on the elliptical at the gym and lifting some weights. My shins were finally better, I ran a virtual 5k at a much better time, and then shin splints AGAIN!! I couldn't believe it. After a bunch of research I decided to run through them. I kept my miles low and my pace low as well. I stuck to running just around the neighborhood so I'd be close if I needed to go home. Even during this time, I was getting stronger. I ended December running 6 miles almost consecutively.

No comments:

Post a Comment