Saturday, September 27, 2014

So About All The Fitness: Part II

In January, after really going after higher mileage, and suffering from some major shin splints, I decided to go to the gym and use the elliptical. I figured the decrease of impact on my feet/shins would help them heal. I was lifting weights and doing anywhere from 30-60min on the elliptical at a pretty fast pace. I probably looked like a crazy person going as fast as I was on it, but it felt good to move that fast. I also used some workout videos at home. I was loosing about 5 pounds a month at this point and I was feeling so good about it.

After a few weeks or so, my shins started feeling better so I went out for a run again. Almost immediately they were in pain again, so I decided, to heck with it. I'm running through the pain from now on. I missed the road and I missed the running. I started following a few instagram accounts of runners/trail runners and some other fitness/food accounts as well. It really boosted my desire to fuel my body better and on the days I didn't want to exercise, I gathered motivation from there as well. I struggled though. I struggled with the desire to run better and the desire to just go back to what I always did, just sit on the couch and not worry so much about being healthy.

In March, after running an adventure run with Road Runner Sports here in Tempe, AZ I finally couldn't deal with all the coughing and not being able to breathe very well. I knew I was probably pretty sick, but I hate doctors. I sucked it up and went, and sure enough, I had bronchitis. A pretty bad case of it. I was put on a bunch of meds and was told to rest. That's the last thing I wanted to hear. I went home bummed out, but maybe a little happy too, grateful I had an excuse to not have to exercise now.

That excitement lasted all of about 2 weeks before I was out of my mind bored. My kids were driving me nuts, people on Facebook were driving me nuts, I was letting things get to me. I finally realized what running/exercising was giving me. It was clearing my head. It was allowing me a way to be a better mom and wife and sister and friend. I was struggling on the couch.

In April I got the bright idea to go get a big tractor tire for workouts at home. I found one on my first try and brought it home. The next week I set out to clean it up from the oil and dirt that covered it. I coughed the entire time I did this. I was still not recovered from bronchitis. The next day I woke up with the most excruciating pain in my ribs in my back. I had pulled those muscles, probably from moving the tire around and from cleaning it and from all the violent coughing. I had already been down 6 weeks. This would cause me to be down another 6 very long and miserable weeks. I hurt so bad. I could no longer run, walk, lift or even breath really. I was completely grounded. And I was about as miserable as I could possibly be. I followed Instagram running accounts jealously wishing I could be out in the fresh air. I had just picked out a 10k training plan to help get me trained to run it in a 55:00⬇ and now I couldn't even do it. I had gotten a brand new Garmin watch and it sat there unused. I had gotten battle ropes I couldn't even lift. I decided that when I could finally get back out, I would try to remember what those 12 weeks were like for me and be grateful for the following runs/workouts I got to do in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment